10 ways to celebrate your pet's birthday or gotcha day
In our homes, every day is a celebration of our furry, feathery, or scaly friends. But when it comes to marking their birthdays or adoption anniversaries, it's a fantastic excuse to kick the festivities up a notch.
So, whether you sing "Happy Gotcha Day" off-key or serve up a doggy cake that wouldn't win any Great Kiwi Bake Off awards, your pet's going to love the extra attention. The possibilities are endless, here are some ideas to get you started.
Fun ideas for pet birthdays and adoption anniversaries
Themed celebrations and activities
There's no better way to mark any special occasion than with a party. So why not throw your pet a themed birthday or adoption anniversary bash? Consider the personality and interests of your pet, as well as the season to ensure the day is fun and exciting, not a cause of stress.
- Beach day: Take your dog to the beach or a local park and celebrate with some awesome games such as fetch, hide-and-seek, and tug-of-war.
- Birthday photo shoot: Break out the props and backdrops, and have some fun taking snaps – then post the best photo on social media to share with your friends (they may even become a “Pet of the Year”!
- Spa day: Your pet may not appreciate a cucumber face mask, but there's a good chance they'll relish the extra attention of a pamper session. Indulge your pet in their favourite grooming, whether it be a good brush or a warm bath.
- Quiet night in: Not all pets like a fuss or extra company – but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy some special time with their family. Grab some pet-friendly snacks and snuggle up with the whānau for a movie night.
Delicious treats for your pet's special day
As a nation of foodies, no occasion would be complete without some good food.
- Home-made treats: Bake up a storm and whip up some delicious treats for your pet – here are some of our best recipes for dogs.
- Pet-friendly cake: What's a birthday without cake? Many baking ingredients aren’t suitable for pets, so make sure to use pet-friendly ingredients for a cake your pet can enjoy without any worries.
- A special meal: Take your pet's birthday meal to the next level with some delicious "people food" but the nutritious kind! Prepare your pets healthy and delicious foods such as poached fish or boiled chicken that they will savour.
Playful presents: Unique gifts to spoil your pet
Unveiling a new toy or surprise can make your pet's special day even more exciting. From chew toys that can help keep your dog's teeth healthy to scratching posts for your feline friend's pleasure, there's a myriad of options available.
- Toys: Every pet deserves a toy or two that can help them have fun and also keep their minds active. New toys can bring a special excitement to mark their special day – and it's always fun to watch them play.
- Personalised accessories: Personalisation is a great way to make your pet's special day extra unique. From collars with their name on it to hand-knitted blankets, unique items can be a great way to show your love.
- New bed: Upgrading your pet's everyday items can also be a great way to show them how much you care. From cosy pillows and beds that keep your pet warm during winter, to cooling mats to help on those hot summer days.
Protect the special moments
Our pets enrich our lives in countless ways, so celebrating their special moments is a joyous occasion that strengthens our bond with them and helps to show our love for them.
As you plan your pet's next birthday or adoption anniversary, remember that SPCA Pet Insurance is here to help provide peace of mind, so you can focus on the more important things, like creating unforgettable memories.
17 Jan 2024